Artists or professional designers should have all the high-quality materials and equipment at their disposal to do justice to their creative artworks. Finding the best printer for art prints is crucial for these professionals since the quality of the output can make or break their career in many ways, especially if you are an upcoming artist.
Digital artists need a solid and high-performance printer to achieve the results they need. If you are still outsourcing the art prints to third parties, then now is the time for you to own one of the popular art printers and save some valuable time and money.
It does not matter even if you are going to print art at home, using one of the leading art print printers available in the market makes a huge difference. Ask your peers and fellow artists about the quality of output that a quality device can deliver.
One of the key factors that differentiate this type of printers from other models is that they provide the ability to print in multiple formats. We shall discuss the most important features that a printer should have to be rated as the best printer for art prints later. Now, we shall review some of the leading art print printers in the section below.
Top 5 Best Printer for Art Prints
1. Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer
The IP8720 is up there with the best-in-class printer for art prints in the inkjet printer category and this wireless printer offers great value for money, which is its USP. The fact that it is designed and developed by Canon for printing photos makes it a perfect choice for artists and graphics designers. The design is modern, compact, and sleek, making it a like-able model on the whole.
It is very easy to set up and operate, but the lack of a display control screen is dearly missed. The lack of USB and SD card slots is also a miss, considering that it was built for printing photos solely. Wireless connectivity does iron out these flaws by offering the ability to print art files instantly from smartphones, tablets, etc.
The 6-ink individual tank container system provides excellent print quality, and even in several test runs, the results were amazing, which is one of the great aspects of this printer. AirPrint, CloudPrint, and other Wi-Fi connectivity solutions can be set up within minutes, which makes it a high-performance, user-friendly unit.
Considering the options available in the market, it is quite hard to find such a feature-packed art printer at such an affordable price, which should be a sweet deal for those who don’t have many funds. Some of the features of premium Canon models are also incorporated in this budget-friendly version, also making it hard to resist.
2. Canon Pixma Pro-100 – Best Printer for Art Prints
Pixma Pro-100 is a well-balanced model in terms of quality and pricing. At an entry-level price point, you are getting a mid-level photo printer, which is amazing for starters. The 8-dye ink container system is what delivers high-quality print output.
This one also uses the brand’s trademark Optimum Image Generating System, which is responsible for automatically selecting the best dye combinations for the prints. The auto sheet feeder also helps in bulk art printing tasks.
The FINE dot printing technology is responsible for the premium art print outputs and this device can be used for printing large 13X19 inches arts. Design-wise, it is not the most striking one, but the sheer size of it should surely grab your attention. The setup process might take some time, but you have all the guides and fitments on the box to complete the setup process.
Wireless printing, AirPrint, mobile printing, etc. provide excellent connectivity for ease in making a print. It does have some minor drawbacks, such as lack of SD card reader, no Linux OS support, ink costs are high, etc.; but, considering the unit, on the whole, it does pack in features well above its class.
3. Epson XP-15000 Printer
We know that it is hard to find the best printer for art prints, especially for handling wide format professional-grade printing tasks. Surprise! We have found just the one that fits right into that segment, the Expression Photo HD XP-15000 from Epson.
Professional grade printers are expensive and require a lot of maintenance and operating costs, but none of that matters here, as this one delivers professional-grade printing performance and quality at an affordable price. This is a perfect and one of the leading art print printers preferred for graphics designers, artists, and photographers.
The 6-color Claria dye ink is the reason why artists prefer this model, as it is one of the highly-rated inks known for quality and longevity. The wide range of color combinations and the extra-wide A3+ compatible printing footprint for such a compact model is quite astonishing. Printing speed is also great, with the ability to even get borderless color art prints in no time.
USB 2.0 and Ethernet-based connectivity options are available, apart from the super convenient and reliable wireless connectivity. The minor drawbacks, such as high cost per print and time consuming and frustrating setup configuration might not be a concern for artists looking for best quality art prints.
4. Canon PRO-1000 Printer
The PRO-1000 is a 17” wide format professional-grade art printer that is available with an attractive price tag and easily falls in the best printer for the art prints category. The 11 different Lucia Pro ink system ensures high-quality printing, and the outcome is vivid and brilliant, which is important in the case of art prints.
The print head uses anti-clogging technology which ensures smooth, accurate, and premium quality prints consistently. The air feeding mechanism is also responsible for ensuring a smooth print. Chroma ink optimizer system also provides amazing ink combinations for achieving the best results. The 17X22 inches print output makes it one of the reliable wide-format printers in its category.
A careful and meticulous setup process should be followed to make the printer function efficiently. Although it is time-consuming, you could achieve the best results by configuring the printer properly. The wide range of connectivity options allows the user to take prints quickly and efficiently.
The device is also known for its excellent glossy prints. The inks are expensive, which might be a concern for some, and likewise, the device is bulky and heavy, so space is an issue.
5. Canon SELPHY CP1300 Printer (AirPrint)
For artists in search of a compact and high-quality printer, the SELPHY CP1300 from Canon should be a treat. This ultra-portable model is capable of printing high quality 4X6” prints anywhere you want.
The small physical footprint makes it a perfect travel companion. Apple AirPrint, Mopria printing, and Bluetooth connectivity enable the user to obtain lighting fast prints from their smartphone, tablets, etc.
Canon mobile print application, USB connectivity, and SD card reader can also be used for connectivity. The 3.2” LCD unit allows you to track the print process and it can be tilted so you can place it in a position you feel comfortable.
Such a compact, convenient, reliable, and high-quality portable art printing device is hard to find. The limited printing capacity and possibilities are quite expected considering its compact design, so that should not be a concern anyway.
How To Find A Printer For Art Prints?
Every profession is unique and so is the set of requirements that each of those possesses. As a digital artist or designer, it is very important to find the best printer model in the market. Although the number of criteria involved in isolating the best from the rest is a lot, the following are going to be some of the vital factors that you need to consider:
- Precision – Accuracy in printing is crucial for artists, and therefore, color printing should be spot on. The printer you choose should be capable of reproducing a spotless color tone, which ensures that your artwork is depicted in the best fashion. Color tone precision should be the most important factor to look for in the search for the leading air print printers.
- Format support – Popular art printers offered in the market do support a wide range of printing formats, which is another important factor that you should look for in these printers. Professional artists might need to make large art prints from time to time for presentation and other design duties, and for that, you need a printer with flexible format options.
- Ink performance – The quality of the ink used by the device also plays a major role, just like the paper used for the printing process. Even if you have high-quality premium paper, but the quality of ink tends to be poor, then the resulting outcome might not last forever, which is not what an artist wants.
- Rate of printing – The printing speed might not be a huge factor for most artists, since most of you would be happy to wait to achieve the best quality art prints. This might not be the case for some who are working on a tweak or art reconstruction project, which might require quick results. Most of the printers coming under this category are generally slow in printing speed.
- Meet the purpose – You might consider a lot of factors, but the most important of them all should be ‘meet the purpose’ factor. As an artist or graphics designer, you should be aware of your requirements and you need to search for the one that best fits your agenda. For example – not all artists require large scale huge art printers for printing, and these printers take up a lot of space, which can be cumbersome if you are going to set it up at your home; therefore, it is wise to go for the one that you actually suits your needs.
- Pricing – When it comes to pricing, you have to include upfront costs, maintenance costs, ink refill costs, and service costs, which might come without notice in the long run. Consider all of these factors when you are making a purchase decision.
- User interface – A friendly and easy-to-operate user interface should be the preferred choice. Clear display and easy-to-operate controls should be able to simplify the printing process on the whole, which then saves you time.
- Customer service – Printers are bound to break, and if you have owned one, you might be able to relate to what we mean. In such cases, reliable round-the-clock customer support is what you need.
Quality and performance are very important for the best printer for art prints because the difference that this makes to the artwork is quite significant. Consider your budget, requirements, etc. and choose the best one for you. We hope this discussion was able to guide you in the right direction!